call-to-action call-to-action-mobile

Buying or renting a listed building? Everything you need to know

Thu 09 Jun 2016


Buying or renting a listed building? Everything you need to know


Owning a listed property can give a property an edge when it comes to selling. reveals a guide to buying a listed building here.

What does ‘listed’ mean?
The property is on a national register of buildings with architectural or historical importance. To check if a house is listed, visit this website

What does this mean for buyers/tenants?
It means the building is protected both on the inside and outside and the owners must ensure its upkeep and not make any unauthorised alterations. You can’t suddenly tack a plastic conservatory onto the exterior of your Jacobean mansion.

Which buildings get listed?
Anything built before 1700 that is still more or less in its original condition. Plus most properties built between 1700 and 1840, along with later structures (1840-1914) that either demonstrate technological advances or were designed by famous architects. And post-1945 buildings are now being added to the list, though only those of spectacular importance.

Does the building have to be a house?
No, it can be a barn, a bridge, a gravestone or even a telephone box.

What’s the difference between a Grade I listed and a Grade II listed house?
In England and Wales, a Grade I building is the most protected structure, being considered of ‘outstanding or national architectural or historical interest’. Very few buildings (only two per cent of all listed structures) come into this category. Grade II starred status (four per cent of all listed buildings) indicates a structure of more than just local interest and Grade II listing (the majority, at 94 per cent or 500,000 buildings) denotes the place is of ‘special architectural or historic interest’. Both Scotland (three) and Northern Ireland (four) have similar grades of listing.

Can you alter a listed building?
Not without getting Listed Building Consent from your all-powerful local conservation officer, who is usually employed by your local council. Even if you’re just buying a listed building from someone else, you have to make sure the previous owners didn’t carry out any unauthorised work. If they did, it’s the new buyer’s job (i.e. yours) to put it right.

Can any changes or extensions be made?
Yes, but only with the approval of the conservation officer, who will probably insist on the use of bricks, tiles or other materials that match the original. Some listed homeowners view this official as an enemy, but on the whole, it’s best to view the conservation officer as a friend and ally, rather than an obstacle. After all, they have the power to say ‘yes’ or ‘no’.

Does anyone else get a say?
Yes, your local authority has to notify English Heritage of all planning applications for Grade I or Grade II starred properties. Sometimes, applications regarding Grade II homes are also referred to English Heritage as well.

Can you fight a refusal?
Yes, but it will involve a local inquiry called by the Secretary of State.

Do listed homes need regular maintenance?
Absolutely. Your to-do list should read as follows: check the roof, make sure gutters and drainpipes are clear, repaint external woodwork, replace putty around windows, carefully detach all creepers, clean chimneys twice a year, re-point brick and stonework, service all heating and electrical equipment, clean and repair plasters, renders, stone and brickwork. Always employ an expert to ensure any work is carried out properly and to the required standards.

What about insurance?
As the house must be repaired using traditional methods and materials, the policy will be more expensive than for a modern house. The sum insured should cover the cost of re-installing the entire house.

Where can I get friendly advice?
There is a register of specialist companies which supply products and services especially for listed buildings. You can access it through the Listed Property Owners Club (LPOC) website, on or by calling 01795 844939. Membership costs £55 per year for advice and news on listed properties. Each year, they hold a Listed Property Show in London, with specialist stalls and expert talks.

Can you get VAT relief?
A good source of advice for VAT is The Listed Property Owners Club ( It has a full-time VAT adviser, who can guide you through the process.

No question that a listed building potentially presents more problems than a new home. But owners of listed properties say it’s the same as owning a vintage car. It may need more servicing but every time you look at it, you feel a little surge of pride and pleasure!

This information was found on

"Very impressed with the excellent service we received from Jeremy, Claire and the Ankers team who were all extremely friendly and helpful. From start to finish we were kept fully informed and any questions and queries were dealt with straight away. We would totally recommend using them."
Mark O'Meara - Vendor

News Archive

January 2020

What is a leasehold property and how do I extend a lease?

November 2019

Charity Santa 5km Fun Run

September 2019

A Guide to Shared Ownership

May 2019

9 Top Tips for Selling Your House (AND 3 MISTAKES YOU SHOULD AVOID)

June 2019

How to prepare your garden before selling your home

April 2019

6 Top Tips to Help First Time Buyers Get on The Property Ladder

A Guide to Downsizing (or 'Right-Sizing')

A guide to getting your home ready for viewings

January 2019

How to use Rightmove tools

December 2018

Christmas Opening Hours 2018

November 2018

Help to Buy ISA. Everything you need to know

September 2018

Five tips to help you feel at home in a new property

August 2018

Prioritise your search with Keyword Sort

June 2018

GrangeFest 2018

Why you should check your credit score before searching for a new home

April 2018

Overseas Homes

March 2018

Property viewings: 9 tips for finding 'the one'

Conveyancing: Advice For Homebuyers

February 2018

Seven top tips for today’s first time buyers

December 2017

Happy New Year!

Merry Christmas!

Christmas Opening Hours 2017

Unwrap your perfect home this Christmas

November 2017

Stamp duty scrapped on homes up to £300,000 for first time buyers

Top tips for dealing with the Bank of England’s 0.25% base interest rate rise

February 2018

Top tips for reducing condensation

July 2017

Broughton Castle Sportive 2017

Bodfest 2017

May 2017

The London & Country Property Show 2017 - Update

April 2017

The London & Country Property Show 2017

March 2017

On The Markets guide to house price indices

Plans for a £50 million waterfront leisure development in the heart of Banbury have be unveiled.

February 2017

Is your home in an area prone to flooding? What to do if disaster strikes?

January 2017

House prices: Whats in store for 2017?

December 2016

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Christmas Opening Hours

November 2016

Hugh Grants Former Bachelor Pad For Sale

Tories pledge to build 40,000 more affordable homes in Autumn Statement 2016

Winter-Proof Your Home SOS

October 2016

Spamalot - Banbury Operatic Society - Tickets on Sale

Keeping your home damp free

What The Bank Of England Base Rate Cut Means For Mortgage Holders

September 2016

Moving to a new area? Top tips to help ease moving house

August 2016

Buying or selling a property with asbestos?

July 2016

3 Ways RICS Home Surveys Pay For Themselves

June 2016

Buying or renting a listed building? Everything you need to know

10 Secrets To Achieving Show Home Style

May 2016

Buying Or Selling A Property Affected By Japanese Knotweed?

Can Overpaying Your Mortgage Save You Money?

All You Need To Know About The Lifetime ISA

5 Ways To Protect Your Home From Flooding

April 2016

One in four of today’s first-time buyers will be paying off mortgages in retirement

Anker and Partners sponsored football kit being re-used in Sierra Leone!

February 2016

Sky Dive to Raise Funds for the Blue Cross

Is it cheaper to rent or buy a home?

January 2016

Will UK house prices continue to rise in 2016?

Supporting Dogs for Good

UK Stamp Duty - What changes to expect in 2016?